Monday, October 20, 2008

Jaded New Yorkers

This morning, after I got out of the subway and was headed to my office, I was offered an environmentally-friendly tote bag from a young girl. Instead of saying, "thanks!" and walking away, I paused for a moment and looked at the girl quizzically, and then looked down at the bag she was offering, and then back at the girl. Sensing my confusion, she explained that "it's just a bag." So I smiled, took the bag, muttered "thank you" and walked away. And indeed it was just a bag. In fact, it was a free bag from Lucky magazine, advertising its "Ultimate Shopping Party."

I could always use an extra tote bag to help save the word, so why was I so skeptical of accepting this small gift from this seemingly non-threatening young girl? I'll tell you why. It's because we, as New Yorkers, are skeptical of "free" gifts. We are so used to trying to dodge those people throwing fliers and coupons at us every day and being offer "free" samples that really aren't free, that we don't know how to react when we are offered something that is useful, and actually free.

Or, maybe it's not all New Yorkers who act this way and maybe it's just me being sleepy and paranoid on a Monday morning.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

it wasn't free

you gave them advertising on your blog. they just (rightly) assumed that everyone in new york has a blog.

Subway Gal said...

Good point, wishmewell. That thought actually crossed my mind though when writing this post. I thought, blogging about it will give them some publicity (amongst my dozen or so readers) so that will make up for my initial skepticism at the offering. Besides, I'd rather give free publicity than be asked to buy something because you know, I'd rather use that money on . . . well, myself. Or my fave charity (I'm a do-gooder too!)

sammy blue said...

you should've asked for two bags, since it was free, and then sell the second one. or trade it for candy on halloween night when someone's bag breaks.

Subway Gal said...

Hmmmmm both good ideas, Sam, but it was way too early in the day for me to think of such clever ideas on the spot. Maybe next time . . .