Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The worst seat on the subway

As some of you know through experience, the worst seats on the subway are the ones next to the door. You know, the one with the bar shielding you from the flock of people entering or exiting the train. The bar that people, annoying people, like to lean on. I usually try to avoid this seat, but for some really crazy reason, I chose this seat on the subway this morning, although there were plenty others to choose from. I thoughtI'd be adventurous and give it another try. Big mistake. I immediately regretted my decision when what I assume was a teenager (I refuse to look up and make eye contact with people sitting or standing next to me on the subway) leaned against the bar with his elbows out so that I had the pleasure of one right next to my head. It was uncomfortably too close for my liking and I kept waiting to get elbowed in the head and have to cause a great big scene when I cried out in exaggerated pain. So, to avoid this situation, I kept playing with my hair, hoping my movement would deter him, but it did not. Finally, I put rested my arm on the bar so that he would have to move. It worked! But then my arm got tired and I moved it, and the annoying teenager moved back into position. I was relieved when he got off the subway, but that was short-lived when another guy took his place. And this guy had a backpack. These are the worst kinds of people because they treat their backpacks as if they are parts of their body - like a hump on their back that has every right to be there invading your personal space. Had it been later in the day when I was more awake and alert, I probably would have taken out my keys and started poking Backpack boy, but I controlled myself and kept quite. Kudos to me.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The arm is the must move - even when it gets tired you need to keep it up...also your poll is a little short on facts..Bonet has been in a couple of movies including Angelheart and High Fidelity....

Anonymous said...

i actually like that seat. the bar is perfect arm leaning height.

also, you're lucky you get a seat in the morning! i get a seat maybe once a week during my commute tops.

Subway Gal said...

I am one of the lucky ones, wishmewell, but that's because I am the 3rd stop on the local V or R train in the morning, so I ride it all the way. I'd rather be on the subway going local for a few extra minutes than have to transfer to the express and be stuck squished and standing. Anyway, it's all about the local train, so I highly recommend moving so that you too can know the joy of getting a seat on the subway on the commute to work.

Bangs and a Bun said...

I don't know how you kept your cool there amigo - kudos to you indeed.