Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Grievances


Yesterday, my friend, let's call her Jen, was telling me about some of her subway grievances and I thought it might be fun to share those grievances with all of you and get your input.

Subway peepers. These lazy, cheap, obnoxious nosy people can be found sitting, or standing, next to a person, any person, on the subway who is reading. Subway peepers are those people who either forget to bring reading material with them on the subway, or are too cheap to buy a newspaper, so they read over the shoulder of someone else who was smart enough to bring their own reading material. Subway peepers may seem harmless, because they may be disguised as a cute school girl selling girl scout cookies or a fragile elderly woman, but they aren't. Subway peepers unashamedly hover over riders with reading material, making them panic and feel claustrophobic. And, on top of that, sometimes, these subway peepers have bad breath and/or BO! Anyone can be a victim. Women, children, it doesn't matter; subway peepers do not discriminate.

Now ask yourself, have you been a victim of a subway peeper? If so, how did you deal with it? Please share. We are here to help. Or, worse, have you yourself been a subway sleeper? If so, why, WHY did you peep?? Our readers want answers.

"Jen's" other grievance was subway riders who rush to the doors to get out before the subway even pulls into the station. They act without regard to others, as if they are the only ones getting out at the stop, pushing and shoving and falling (because the car is still moving) all over people in a race to be the first to the door. I will guarantee you right now that more than one person is getting out at any stop, any time, day or night and, the subway conductors know this. So, they tend to leave the doors open for about 30 seconds, which is not long enough in my opinion, but long enough to let more than one person off the subway. So, what is the point of my rambling? Avoid accidents and remain seated until the subway car has come to a complete stop.


Song of the moment: "King of Wishful Thinking" by Go West. This is one of my top fave song of all times for two main reasons.

  1. It's from the soundtrack to one of my top 5 favorite movies, "Pretty Woman," which is why I prob ever noticed this song in the first place.
  2. Because at some points in my past when I was younger and even sillier than I am now, I thought this song described perfectly my thoughts about some of my exes. What girl hasn't???
Btw, is it just me or does one of the members of "Go West" now look like a little bit like Scott Baio?
Zemanta Pixie

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've totally been a victim of subway peepers, and subway listeners. I've also played the part as well. I cherish when I can score a peeper, depending on what I'm reading. You never know. You can strike up a chat with them about what you got going on. It is more fun when you have people on the subway listening to you. Everyone does it. But if i'm under the influence, and cracking jokes, I'm king. I want people to know I'm enjoying my life and maybe i'll make someone laugh. I'm always hunting for a smile.

The people that rush the door, I agree. I just wait it out and stroll out like a casual beast when the doors open.

Anonymous said...

i'm not a subway peeper by trade, it just happens.

half hungover leaning on the pole and you look down and the only thing keeping you from whatever it is your thinking about it trying to figure out what the entire article is about based solely on the post's bad pun of a headline

also, if you see someone (especially if their cute and of the opposite sex...or same sex if that is your thing) reading a book that you know and like it is your civic duty to strike up a conversation

people who rush the door, however, are assholes no matter what

Subway Gal said...

alchematics - You're A LOT nicer than most subway riders. Why don't I ever sit next to people like you on the subway?

wishmewell - good point about peeping in order to get closer to a hottie. But, have you ever met someone worthwhile this way?

Anonymous said...

My mind set on the subway is this is part of my day and I'm going to enjoy myself. Most other people don't want to be on the subway so when 2 people like that clash it is bloody. But it doesn't matter what you want on the subway. We're all stuck in this box. Smile kids!