Monday, July 28, 2008

Mandals and a Skirt



Last night, my boyfriend and I were on the E train on our way home after a fun weekend with friends in my boyfriend's old hood B'more going to the aquarium and watching the Orioles get their butts kicked, when another rider caught my attention. As if in an answer to my prayers, he boarded the train just as I was wondering what to blog about today.

This man who boarded the train was different than the other riders. He was unique. He was wearing a heinous pair of blue mandals. And a short, bright orange muscle tank. And a long, beautiful, flowing female skirt, that, in case you were curious, did NOT match the orange tank AT ALL. To each his own, right? He must be an "artist" who was "expressing himself" and I shouldn't stare because this is NY after all and really, anything goes. So, I was about to go back to reading my book when said man grabbed the subway pole with both hands and sat back so that he was getting what looked to be a very good full-body stretch in the middle of the subway car. In a skirt.

Obviously, this man was not afraid to be seen in his skirt and he wanted everyone to know it. Or, he was on drugs and accidentally wandered into his sister's room earlier that day and mistakenly put on the outfit she had planned to wear. Either way, I wondered if maybe guys in long, flowing skirts was the norm, maybe even the new trend, and I missed it in my last issue of Marie Claire. I looked around the subway car and saw that a few others were watching this curious man too, so I'm pretty sure that he was just weird and not a fashionista. What do YOU think?

Song of the moment: "Savin' Me" by Nickelback. That's right, NICKELBACK! I am well aware that not everyone likes them and may even make fun of me for liking them but I don't care because this is my blog and on my blog Nickelback is cool! And the drummer is HOT!

Zemanta Pixie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

must...not...make...comment...nickelback...

phew, almost lost it
but yeah, that dude was probably just weird. real fashionistas take car service

Anonymous said...

Chalk it up to NY culture. Nobody is going to take drugs, put on stupid clothes then parade around. The last thing you want when you are on drugs is a lot of people looking at you. or to find yourself cross dressed on a subway.

Or maybe he is just taking the wrong sort of drugs...