Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Stiletto Courtesy


This morning as I was standing on the E train, which I usually try to avoid in the morning because it's awful, in my 4-inch stiletto heels, I observed a man giving up his seat to a pregnant woman. I'm glad he did this because I saw her standing there for a little while until this guy finally awoke from his coma and noticed her pregnant belly standing in front of him, but it got me thinking about subway etiquette and when you should give up your seat. You should always give up your seat to women, or men (e.g. "The Pregnant Man" Thomas Beatie), who are preggers and of course the elderly and the handicapped, but what about women in stilettos? I totally get how it's different because women choose to wear stilettos in the subway when they could be wearing flats instead and the elderly don't choose to be old because they just are, and I usually do wear flats and change to stilettos when I get to work, but this time was different. This morning I was on my way to an interview and I didn't want to show up carrying a bag with shoes in them, ya know? For interviews I always think the less baggage the better. So, with this in mind, I braved the commute standing in my stilettos and not once did I give a man an evil look for not giving his seat up to me as I stood there in pain in my stilettos, but I really think this needs to change. We women (and perhaps some men?) wear stilettos because, even though they can be very very painful, they are the best possible shoe to wear with the outfit and because they want to look good - for all of you! So, as I see it, the least you can do is give up your seat to a woman in stilettos and maybe even thank her for going out of her way to look so nice, even though she is probably in excruciating pain. If each of the five or six people who read this blog give up there seat to a person in stilettos the next time they are on the subway, together we can, very slowly, change subway etiquette. Try it and let me know what happens.

Oh, and I decided to do away with the fortune cookie gadget I added last night because it keeps telling me that I'll have the best life ever and while that's nice and everything, that's the only thing it says and that gets pretty boring pretty quickly. However, for now I have decided to keep the thought-of-the-day gadget. You like?

Song of the moment: "Let Me Go" by Three Doors Down. This song reminds me of Jesse Metcalfe because he was in the video. Remember Jesse? That's ok, I doubt many people do anymore. Well, back in the day he was hot stuff and had a prominent role on "Desperate Housewives" and the craptastic "John Tucker Must Die." Now, at 29, he's a has-been. Although, according IMDb he has three movies coming up, but I'm sure they will either suck or he will have a bit part! Take my advice to Jesse and go do modeling or something where you can showcase your bod and not have to speak. Maybe Calvin Klein is hiring.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

if this happened girls (and certain guys) would start wearing stilettos on the subway and changing into flats when they got off, just for the seat.

Subway Gal said...

Ooooo good point, wishmewell. Hmmm ok, I guess that's one of the kinks I gotta work out in order to make this plan work. Although, I wouldn't mind seeing some guys trying to pull off stilettos on the subway . . .

sammy blue said...

i will go along with this ettiquette as long as the girls really do look good in their stilettos. if there's any doubt or ambiguity then the girl needs to display her gym membership card so that we know she's at least working on improving the situation.

Subway Gal said...

Absolutely, Sam! We don't want people taking advantage of the situation.