Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Why I hate the E train

In an effort to get home faster today after a long day at work, I hopped on the E train across the street from my office. Big mistake. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the E train sucks! I loathe it.

I knew it was gonna be a battle to get home as soon as I walked into the station and saw the platform backed up with several rows of people waiting for the train to arrive. If there were this many people waiting here at the 7th Ave. stop, imagine how many people were waiting at all the stations before us, I wondered. Well, imagine my delight when the train finally arrived and I saw it was packed with people. I just knew that good times were ahead!

Somehow I managed to get on the train and immediately wished I'd had walked the three blocks and one avenue like I usually do and hop on the R train. I was smushed in a sea of dirty New Yorkers. The young man behind me was waaaaaaay too up close and personal with my ass and the woman in front of me kept brushing me in the face, or my outstretched arm, which was desperately reaching for a spot on the germ-infested pole, with her frizzy hair. And to make awful matters worse, I didn't even have room to take out my book and read. All I could do was stare at the roof in grand annoyance.

I was never so happy to see the shady Roosevelet Ave station where I was finally able to leave that hell hole to transfer to the local train. I huffed and puffed and pushed my way out in dramatic fashion, complete with a loud, "UGH!" as I looked back at the train in disgust.

Take the E train? Never again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd love to see you on the train huffing at the inevitability of the crowd and the smell and the creeps and the suffering we all enjoy together on a rush hour train.