Wednesday, July 2, 2008

People Never Cease to Amaze Me

Yesterday on my commute home from work on the subway, my colleague told me a story about a rude man on the bus and it is so appalling that I've decided that it needs to be shared. Here at "Thoughts On a Subway," we tend to neglect the bus (most because Subway Gal has rode it a grand total of about 5 times over the course of her life, and that was for about 10 blocks up or down Queens Blvd, because she doesn't understand the bus system and doesn't want to take the time to do so).

So, as the story goes, my colleague and a bunch of riders at a bus stop in Queens got on an already crowded bus and the only empty seat was being occupied by a box of donuts. So, one of the women who boarded the train with my colleague politely asked the man sitting next to the box of donuts if he would please move it so that she could sit down. "No" he replied. "Did you pay $5 for your box to sit there," she responded. "No, but I'm not moving it," he huffed. At this point, all the other riders on the bus were calling out to the bus driver for help and he too asked the rider to move his box of donuts, only to be told, "no" by this horrible man. By this point, the other riders were conspiring to take the box of donuts and start eating them. Me? I probably would have opened the nearest window and thrown the box of donuts out of it, or, better yet, sat ont he box of donuts. And farted.

In the end, the bus driver wound up stopping the bus and pulling over and telling the man that unless he moved his box of donuts he would not continue driving. Reluctantly, the man finally moved his box of donuts.

I listened to this story in horror, growing angrier each time this man refused to move his box of donuts. What is with some people? And where do they get their sense of self-entitelment from? Unreal.

As I was drafting this post on the subway ride to work this morning, a middle-aged woman wearing a too-tight shirt that my friend actually purchased from H&M last season and wore as a dress, stood next to where I was sitting and was fubmling in her bag for god knows what and as a result wound up repeatedly hitting my legs with her cheap plastic purse. I tried, unsucessfully, to push the bag away, and was about to throw the bag across the subway car when, luckily for her, she got off the subway.

Song of the moment: "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" by the Beatles and the opening of that show with Corkey the retarted kid. They made up a song on ESPN's "Mike & Mike," show the other day using that beat and it's been randomly playing in my head ever since.

No comments: