Sunday, September 7, 2008

Incompetence on the LIRR

This morning, I journeyed home on the LIRR to spend some quality time (Quality time meaning my mom the hairdresser dying my hair and then shopping with my mom and sis before I allowed my dad to drive me all the way back to Queens later in the day.) with the fam on LI. I waited in the Forest Hills LIRR station and when the train finally arrived, a few minutes late, only one door would open. Everyone was looking around all confused and I ran up to the one open door and got aboard, because even though the rest of the doors would eventually open, I didn't want to risk it. I guess around this point the conductors started noticing a problem and I saw two of them starting to manually open and close the doors. They were actually taking way too long and at this point I thought I might miss my train that I need to transfer to at Jamaica. So, as the large, balding, pale conductor was walking towards me, I asked if the other trains will wait for us at Jamaica if we are late, because I was in serious danger of missing my transfer. "We aren't transferring," he gruffly replied. WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT? I checked the schedule the night before and I was sure that I could pick up the Ronkonkoma train in Jamaica eight minutes after my train was scheduled to arrive. At this point I started to panic because I have no idea where this train would take me or how I would get home because when I tried to call my family, no one answered the phone. But then I heard the same conductor announce to the train, "Next stop Jamaica!" WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT? Didn't the same a**hole just rudely tell me that this train wasn't making a transfer at Jamaica? When I spotted him again I thought I'd try to clear up the situation. "Hi," I said. "I just heard the announcement that we are going to Jamaica, but you told me the train wouldn't be stopping there to transfer." "Yes, I made the announcement," he said, "and we aren't connecting with any trains at Jamaica." "But," I tried again, "I checked the schedule and it said I could catch the Ronkonkoma train at Jamaica." He replied rudely saying something along the lines of, "too bad." To this, I shouted out, "Thanks for you help. I'm calling your supervisor!!!!" "Go ahead," the fat, bald moron called back at me, with a stupid smirk on his face and his arms wide open in what I assume was supposed to be a threatening manner. I was flabbergasted (isn't that a fun word?). I couldn't believe this was happening.

When we arrived at Jamaica I ran up to a station manager and asked when the next train to Ronkonkoma was. She replied, "Next on this track." "WHAT?!?!?!," I asked in shocked annoyance. "NEXT ON THIS TRACK!," a very annoyed young man standing behind me shouted back at me.

Anyway, as you can imagine, I was livid at this point and asked not one, but two LIRR workers for the LIRR main phone number, so I could call and complain of course, and wouldn't you know, neither one knew. Lucky for me, a nearby passenger had the number and gave it to me. I called, but unfortunately I must wait until morning to complain, and complain I will. Justice will be served!

LIRR = Completely Incompetent

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

12 comments:

P said...

Oooh that is INFURIATING!!!

Subway Gal said...

Tell me about. Although, I did speak with someone in LIRR public affairs today and they are going to launch an "investigation" of the situation lol. Justice will prevail!!!

sammy blue said...

flabergasted is such a fun word. i am flabergasted by your obsession to allow justice to prevail. but i suppose that is what a princess would do. was p-dazz happy with joe flacco's performance? tell him i apologize for ray rice's subpar showing. he'll improve. jersey guys are too good for him not too...and don't get mad i'm discussing football on a subway blog. you don't always discuss subway stuff here either.

Subway Gal said...

P-dazz and I are very pleased with Flacco.

P-dazz also thinks Ray Rice will definitely improve and then he said a lot more stuff and I started to tune out, but I think the gist of it was he likes him.

Anonymous said...

is this4 real?

Anonymous said...

So let me get this straight.
You had a freak out because you had to wait an extra 10 minutes for a connecting train instead of having it wait for your lordship across the platform? And then you proceeded to act like a spoilt brat at the conductor whose primary responsibility is making sure that you arrive in one piece. He's a conductor, not a customer service agent.
What a great injustice has been dealt to a poor little entitlement brat from Long Island. Oh woe.
I guess the MTA personnel are just awful for expecting you to open your eyes and read the nifty announcement board that's updated every 5 minutes and tells the commuters exactly when trains are coming, what tracks will they be arriving at AND what delays, if any there are.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Subway Gal said...

Actually, ANONYMOUS (scared, much?) I didn't care how long I had to wait as long as I made my connecting train. And since we were delayed, I nicely asked the conductor if the train I was supposed to transfer to would wait at Jamaica (honest question, no?). However, instead of saying, "Yes. The train you want is pulling in right behind us" (like the LIRR worker told me when I arrived in Jamaica panicked)he said, with attitude "We aren't connecting with any trains."

Real helpful them LIRR workers, huh? And since you are such a cheerleader for the LIRR, ANONYMOUS, you'll be thrilled to know that I received a call from this man's supervisor apologizing to me profusely and informing me that he's conducting an investigation of this matter and that the offending LIRR worker will be reprimanded :)

Subway Gal said...

Oh, and another thing, ANONYMOUS - the Forest Hills station (where I boarded the train) does NOT have a nifty announcement board. It's a smaller station, and if you ever rode the LIRR you would know that.

BTW "spoilt" is actually spelled, "spoiled" in this situation ;) You use "spoilt" when referring to food.

Anonymous said...

I'm not scared - just dont have a blogger account and have no desire to get one.
Jamaica has the announcement board, which is the one I was referring to. All you had to do is look up and open your eyes. Instead you chose to cause a scene. A connecting train (or flight for that matter) generally refers to the vehicle waiting for you across the platform ( or terminal) at the time of your arrival. A following train is NOT a connecting train, whih you would know if you'd used public transport for more than a couple of years.
As for my use of spoilt, it was intentional. Spoilt in this case is like a particularly overripe Long Island apple that's been in the sun a bit too long. You pick it up and it oozes stuff, in your case, entitlement.

Subway Gal said...

You are clearly not understanding something, ANONYMOUS (haven't had your cup of morning coffee yet?) because I was on the train from Forest Hills and because we were late I needed to find out if I was going to make my connecting train to Jamaica BEFORE we got there so that I could make necessary arrangements.

Anyway, sorry you love the LIRR so much (you must work there) but they've got some incompetent workers and those incompetent workers are being dealt with, thanks to me. End of story.

Unknown said...

Don't mess with SG!