Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Dawson who?


The other day in the subway station I saw a poster for Joshua Jackson's (a.k.a Pacey) new show on Fox and I'm really happy for him because he is extremely good looking and a face like his needs to be on a screen and adored my millions nationwide.

Anyway, seeing that poster got me thinking about 10 years ago and a great little show called, "Dawson's Creek" and the "star of the show" curse that followed Dawson himself, James Van Der Beek, after the show. Everyone got big except him. Sure, he did that movie "Varsity Blues" but what was he really known for after that? Nothing. Katie Holmes is doing her "married to Tom Curise" thing and Michelle Williams is doing the "Heath Ledger widow" thing and now Joshua Jackson is trying to break back onto the TV scene. And poor James VDB is doing nothing. Well, actually, according to IMDb, he has two movies coming up, but they don't have any big names in them, so they are sure to bomb. This same thing happened with "Blossom," though I don't think anyone from that show got big afterwards. Anyway, there are more examples out there, but I can't think of them right now because my brain has shut down for the evening.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

10 comments:

sammy blue said...

ok, first let me just say you need to proofread a little bit better. second, i do feel bad for jvb or whatever his name is, varsity blues was pretty cool though...but i don't like josh what's his name. he used to date rosario dawson back in the day. and i think back in the i-took-you-to-see-josie-and-the-pussy-cats-days, so you know i was working hard to get with her. but she was with that punk. but whatever ya know, her loss.

oh and what's her name Six from blossom had a long run as the bestfriend of the main character on an annoying show that was probably on UPN before moving to BET. too annoying to remember the name.

ok my brain shut down for the evening.

Sid said...

Well JVB has an ugly face and we really can't allow that on TV, can we?

Anonymous said...

I loved Dawson's Creek - got all the series on DVD! A lot of actors that do kids/teens programmes don't end up big afterwards because I think they get a bit typecasted and its hard to get out of that.

Anonymous said...

but rules of attraction was awesome!

plus he was in an episode of How I Met Your Mother. if that doesn't spell success i don't know what does anymore

Subway Gal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Subway Gal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Subway Gal said...

Sam - My proofreading was fine and you are just being bitter because I always critique your newspaper's Web site :) Anyway, yes, I remember your obsession with Rosario. Remember when she was dating that hot guy from "Sex and the City?" I met him once! Anyway, you didn't like him either. I think you may have a jealousy problem. BTW, UPN??? Who the hell watches that channel?? Lame.

Sid - Very, VERY good point.

Leetid - I used to love "Dawson's Creek" too and all the great teen shows from back in the day and it is such a shame about what happens to those poor actors when the show ends.

Wishmewell - I saw that he was in an episode of "How I Met Your Mother" too and I have never seen the show, but have heard great things about it. Plus, if they can help launch Britney's comeback, then they must be a phenomenal show with super powers.

sammy blue said...

um, the line at the end of the first paragraph says "my" when it should be "by"

P said...

It's weird, I was just thinking about James van Der Beek for the first time in AGES this morning and then i read this post!

Subway Gal said...

Yea, isn't it kinda creepy how he seems to just pop up in our minds on a random basis? Maybe TV really can hypnotize you . . .